Friday, November 29, 2013

Past Simple Tense (part 3)

The negative form of Simple past

past simple, negative form

The negative form of simple past

For example: 

1. I studied English for five Years.  

turning  this sentence into the negative form is very EASY

  • All you need to do is just adding the auxiliary (did not) which is in spoken English contracted to (didn't) before the verb in its base form.

 so it will be:

  
  • I did not STUDY English for Five years.

Another Example:
  • she went to Italy last year.
 you do the same: 
add (did not) and put the verb back in the (infinitive form).

  •  she did not GO to Italy last year.

one more Example:
  • I wrote a letter yesterday night.
 So it goes this way:
  • I (did not) WRITE a letter yesterday night.

P.S 

The most important thing a bout this tense is to memorize perfectly  well the infinitive and the past form of the verbs.


Finally:
  • they had a great time  last vacation.
NOW,  it's your turn to put this sentence in the negative form.



(BE) in the negative form:

The irregular verb (be) is a little different but a lot easier.

For example:
  • I was at my uncle's house
(all you have to do is just putting (not) after verb to be in the past form)
so It will be:
  • I was NOT at my uncle's house.

(WAS NOT) is contracted to (wasn't).
(WERE NOT) is contracted to (weren't).

 Another Example: 

1. She was a naughty girl.
  • She was NOT a naughty girl.


one more example:

2. they were very funny with me yesterday.
  • they were NOT very funny with me yesterday. 


PRETTY EASY, RIGHT?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis