Monday, November 25, 2013

Past Simple Tense (part 2)

past simple tense (part 2)

usage of past simple:

Usage, simple past,key words

 when to use the simple past

 

  • We use the past simple tense to talk about an action that started and finished in the past (completed actions) 

       For example:  

1.  we traveled to France last year.

So, the action (traveling)happened in the past and finished in the past too ; that means we are no longer in France ( we are in some where else)

  • the past simple is also used to describe sequential events or a series of events or actions (happened one after the other).   

     For Example:   

      1. yesterday, I had dinner with my family, then we watched some DVDs and finally we went to bed.

   2. Last summer, we stayed at the beach for a couple of hours, played volley  ball , and at night we had a party with friends and family.

simple, usage, tense,grammar
Usage of simple past

 simple past usage example


  • we also use (used to) to talk about habits (things you did many times in the past, but you don't do it any more. 

 For example: 
 1. when I was a kid I used to play soccer with my friends.
(that means that I did that action for a period of time in the past but not now).




  •  Key words: 

    1.Yesterday

       (I studied French with my brother yesterday).   

    2. Last (week, day, month...................Etc)
     
     (I visited my uncle last weekend).
   
      3. a definite time in the past:

    ( in 1990, I had my first bicycle).



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis